Raam is Burning.
The following animals are well known to the people of Athas, and are considered common (or at least common pests):
- Crodlu – Bird-like reptiles that are valued as mounts for their speed, which makes up for their foul temper.
- Drake – Enormous lizards, like most of the creatures of the wastes, they are dangerous, foul-tempered and savage.
- Hurrum – Small beetle that emits a pleasing humming noise. Among the nobility of Raam, breeding hurrum is considered a prized skill.
- Inix – Large, low-slung reptiles used as war mounts and draft beasts.
- Jankx – Small, fat mammals with delectable innards and a venomous bite.
- Kank – Giant beetles, which are used as mounts and herd animals. Certain species of kank can be ‘milked’ to release ‘kank honey’ – a sweet secretion prized both on its own, and for its use as an ingredient in food and alcoholic beverages.
- Mekillot – Huge slow moving reptiles that are prized for their minimal water requirements (only 2 survival units per day) if not for their charming dispositions. They are often part of caravans, with howdahs mounted on their broad backs.
- Renk – Small snails that attach themselves to humanoids and feed off sweat. 3 renks constitute a survival ration.
- Ssuran – Race of lizard-men who make their living as raiders.
- Tarek – Bestial, gray skinned savages. Go berserk during combat.